Innovation, Invention and Venture Creation Policy
Patent, Copyright and Licensing
- Policy Title – Innovation, Invention and Venture Creation Policy (IIVCC Policy)
- Policy Number – 2018/8
- Functional Area –
Promoting invention and innovation other creative works.
Safeguarding and transferring of Intellectual Property Rights and Commercial aspects
Commercialization and Venture creation.
- Effective and Revised Dates – 24th August 2018
- Approving Authority –The Council of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura
The executive chairman of IIVC of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura, together with board.
Rationale & Purpose
The University of Sri Jayewardenepura pursues its vision of “prosper lives through education” in part by generating new knowledge to address wider economic and social interest in collaboration with public and private sectors. Inventions and innovations with significant public benefit may result as natural outgrowths of research and development efforts. It is important to establish a University policy that defines, protects and gives recognition on rights and obligations of the University and its stakeholders and thereby facilitates dissemination and commercialization of new knowledge to the general public through Venture Creations and University Business Linkages (UBLs).
The Strategic Plan (2017-2021) of the University has identified a number of key strategies on innovation and creative works through its strategic goals. The purpose of this policy is to establish a friendly environment for knowledge creators to encourage, safeguard/protect, and commercialize their creation in the interest of national benefit.
Specific objectives of the policy are;
- encourage and facilitate the generation of new knowledge,
- provide local and international platforms with effective collaborations.
- provide facilities for safeguarding the statutory rights and recognition.
- facilitate transferring and commercialization process of creative outcomes.
- establish guiding principles for determining rights and obligations in IP and commercial aspects of the University and stakeholders.
This policy applies to University community and other stakeholders of creating new knowledge and commercialization process.
- Policy Statement
University of Sri Jayewardenepura will be committed to facilitate for promotion, protection and commercialization of new knowledge through public-private collaborations in the interest of development of country.
- DefinitionsStatutory rightsThe existing law relating to the Intellectual Property in the countryUniversity communityAcademic, Non-academic staff including any employment in any means by the university and student/s in any capacity of the University